Liberté de Pensée et D'Expression

I am donning the NEW as I reflect and RENEW and become more receptive to the Spirit that lives inside of me. I explore my truth, and resist the temptation to censor myself. I must free my expression and share my TRUTH.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : NYC

Resisting Self Censorship

07 mai 2006

Almost Mid-Year Check Up

Usually each September finds me looking at my life and sighing a deep sigh, wondering how I should channel the energy I have and what things I should devote myself to.

Well, last September came and went sooner than I expected, and the new year rung in without my indepth assessment. But, I felt inside that somehow 2006 would be different for me, and that this year would be a year of growth, healing and change. Before the year was over, I jotted down some things as they came to me...

...and here's what I came up with as of December 28, 2005:

Things I Need To Do
Create and stick to a budget & spend wisely
Stop being so lazy and procrastinating
Stay in better touch w/family & friends
Exercise/work out
Study French
Get and stay organized
Be less afraid of the truth
Discover my style
Write more (which is why I have a BLOG, lol!)
Take better care of myself
Speak up for myself
Stop allowing people to take advantage of or manipulate me
Try new things
Figure out my next steps re: my career
Take vitamins


Surprisingly, most of these things have or are coming together and materializing. A part of me wondered when I made this list whether or not I could accomplish what I was setting out to do, to make happen. Initially, it seemed so overwhelming and daunting, but as I put my laundry lists of goals to the back of my mind, it became easier to simply do.

Be like NIKE, and Just Do It.

I have to admit that I'm happy about what I've done so far this year, and am looking forward to how much further I can go. The beauty of it is that I've surprised myself and that pleases me. I still have a lot of work to do in various areas mentioned and some not mentioned here, but I feel so much more confident that I can actually accomplish what I set my mind to.

As I go along, I'm gradually fleshing out each goal and really examining what I want to achieve in each area, and I have to say that reaching 7 out of 15 goals isn't half bad. I'm usually pretty hard on myself and critical of everything I do, so I'm taking a moment to celebrate my milestone and give me a well-deserved pat on the back!

4 Comments:

Blogger VerseOne said...

it's good you wrote down what goals you plan to address. i believe writing it down is the key. Because if it's in your head, then you tend to have selective memory.

hoopefully you finish all your planned tasks.

Peace.

lun. mai 08, 09:09:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Organized Noise said...

I have to do the same thing in a few weeks as I embrace 28. It's always good to set goals and check to see if you've reached them. Good work.

mar. mai 09, 02:52:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Issiata said...

@verse: I agree that writing goals and dreams down is essential to accomplishing them. And I know that I need to keep these things visible to be a reminder to help me stay on track. Do you have any goals for the year (and beyond)?

Thanks for the encouragement!

@organized: I hope that we can share and compare goals at some point. Big ups to you for taking this step at this stage in your life when so many still haven't a clue.

mer. mai 10, 12:07:00 AM 2006  
Blogger VerseOne said...

just to be a lot more selfish. i tend to give alot of myself to others. i haven't done much for me in the past few years.

Peace

jeu. mai 18, 02:01:00 PM 2006  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home