Liberté de Pensée et D'Expression

I am donning the NEW as I reflect and RENEW and become more receptive to the Spirit that lives inside of me. I explore my truth, and resist the temptation to censor myself. I must free my expression and share my TRUTH.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : NYC

Resisting Self Censorship

21 août 2005

Harlem World

It's times like these when a sista needs a camera phone. Saw so many things (and people) that were funny, nasty or in some way outrageous, but images definitely meant to be captured. Even though I'm really not a fan of crowds, I did enjoy the energy I felt on 135th this weekend for the Harlem Week Festival.

Thirty-one years of the people in Harlem coming together to celebrate some of what makes Harlem what it is. Did not feel as connected or a part of the HW experience when I lived here the first time, but after these last couple of years, I'm a little more into the spirit of things. Now, I feel a little territorial and possessive of this place...certainly did not see THAT coming in like, a zillion years! lol So, it's clear to see how seeing people who I would say don't necessarily belong grates on my nerves. I'm not going to pretend that I'm not prejudice and extremely protective of my own. But, I'm going to spare everyone the soapbox on that one, b/c I could go on for days...

Instead, I will focus on how great it made me feel to be a part of this celebration. I enjoyed discovering the talented artists that are out there. I have a t-shirt that a sista painted for me, that is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I didn't get a change to dig into the food the way I really wanted to, but next time, that will be my mission---first and foremost. And the entertainment...what can I say? We have some characters here, fu sho. Can't even begin to tell you how many people me and my girl were cracking up at. Lots of ridiculousness running around, and I found it to be quite hilarious.

Also met a few cool people...definitely have to shout out the Rastas who were so cool, and the young brother, Fame and his crew, trying to make their music happen. Big ups to cutie-pie, Mr. FDNY...too bad we didn't get a chance to chat...maybe next year, lol. And to the dude stuttin' his stuff to the "Stayin' Alive" music that HAD to've been playing in his head...
playon, playa...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Ce commentaire a été supprimé par un administrateur du blog.

lun. août 22, 12:12:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Ce commentaire a été supprimé par un administrateur du blog.

lun. août 22, 12:22:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Ce commentaire a été supprimé par un administrateur du blog.

lun. août 22, 12:52:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Ce commentaire a été supprimé par un administrateur du blog.

lun. août 22, 12:52:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Ce commentaire a été supprimé par un administrateur du blog.

lun. août 22, 12:56:00 AM 2005  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home