Liberté de Pensée et D'Expression

I am donning the NEW as I reflect and RENEW and become more receptive to the Spirit that lives inside of me. I explore my truth, and resist the temptation to censor myself. I must free my expression and share my TRUTH.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : NYC

Resisting Self Censorship

31 janvier 2006

Time For A Change

Although I haven’t officially made this a goal of mine, I have decided to begin exploring seriously other areas of my industry for possible career options. Not to say that where I am now and what I do I’d consider a “career”. Right now, work is just work and my job just a job. My heart’s desire is to find something that I will truly enjoy.

Keeping in the spirit of the mantra Organized chose, and I adopted, (“Want it more than you Fear it.”) I’ve made moves to find out more about what it will take for me to make the transition. I was nervous out of my wits when I set up my first meeting, but I did it anyway. And I knew I had to, or I’d be sitting here another year or two years from now wondering why I didn’t and regretting the fact that I hadn’t. I wasn’t ready when I tried this before, but now I am.

My meeting went well and the colleague I met with seemed happy to talk with me and gave me some helpful advice. We discussed things I’d already known, but that was just confirmation that this would be the path I would need to take. What makes this particularly difficult for me is that I’m not naturally inclined to reach out to people, so I tend to “suffer in silence” when it comes to networking. Even if it doesn’t seem like it, I’m a shy, introverted person, so to pursue this is to push me out of my comfort zone and I’m hoping it’s going to be worth it.

I singed up for a mentoring program, which I knew when I applied, would really be a bunch of crock. I have my own ulterior motives for participating, but more than anything, I just want to see where this thing goes. I confided in a friend of mine that I’d signed up, and we had a good laugh about it.

Funnier still, I told her that suspected some sort of systematic sabotage b/c I was linked up w/someone who in a GAZILLION years I’d NEVER make any moves to become acquainted with (not that I have anything against her). And on top of that, she’s in an area that I have absolutely ZERO interest in. I could’ve had an out, I guess if I’d insisted on having someone in my preferred area of interest, but the down side to that would be that if this woman already knew we’d been paired up and I rejected her, I believe there would’ve been some hell to pay. She knows a lot of people and is pretty well connected. For now, I’ve elected to play the game so I’m going to make the best of the situation and hope this shit pays off down the line.

But...I still can’t help be disturbed by what I think may be going on behind the scenes with this program. I’d be a fool not to think that the people in charge of it are hooking up who they want to hook up, and I know I’m not one of those people. Not that I’m surprised by that. We’ve had our problems before...

Hmmm...should be interesting, though...

2 Comments:

Blogger Trina Slade-Burks said...

Why waste other people's time if you are not going to take it seriously. Kinda rude if you ask me.

mer. févr. 01, 12:49:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Issiata said...

Might seem rude, true. Call me cynical, but I know how this place is. Even though I may not fully believe in the integrity of this particular program, I made a commitment that I plan to see through.

Stay tuned...

mer. févr. 01, 05:50:00 PM 2006  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home