Liberté de Pensée et D'Expression

I am donning the NEW as I reflect and RENEW and become more receptive to the Spirit that lives inside of me. I explore my truth, and resist the temptation to censor myself. I must free my expression and share my TRUTH.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : NYC

Resisting Self Censorship

08 décembre 2005

Lil Didja Know

Try as I might, America’s Next Top Model was one of a myriad of reality shows that sucked me in this season. It’s bad enough as it is that I’m already a huge TV junkie. So, I’ve been watching the majority of the episodes from this season (now they are referring to them as “cycles”. Who da hell came up w/that???) and the girl I personally did not want to win won, and I have my own speculations as to why it worked out the way it did. Oh, and to digress a bit, for anyone who has watched the show, I’ve seen Nigel Barker on the street this summer, and one of my friends met in the airport last month! :)

Anyway, during the final judges’ deliberation, Twiggy, one of the judges, said that she believed that even though Nik could be fierce, she was a gentle soul underneath, and would not be able to cope w/the pressure of being a top model. And that Nicole, on the other hand would not crack so easily.


Sidenote: Even though I know the producers and editors of the show edit to represent the impressions they want viewers to have, in more than one episode Nicole was either a.) freaking out during a shoot b/c pigeons were landing on her, b.)flat out refusing to try to recite her lines from memory while making the CoverGirl commercial (Jay had to read them aloud to her so she could repeat them), or c.) bitching about being dirty and getting mud all over herself after an obstacle course challenge. I could probably be wrong about how she does as the new ANTM, but Nicole's responses in those situations just didn't resonate "toughness" to me. Throughout each of those instances, Nik held her shit together and nailed those challenges. Honestly, I would have preferred Bre (the lil ma from Harlem) to win the top spot, but I wholeheartedly disagree that Nik would have succumbed to the rigors of being the next top model.
There are some things I’ve accomplished that other ppl just did not think I could do—-move to NYC w/no job or a place to live, learn to drive a stick, for example—-or have it in me to actually do. And the funny thing is, I ended surprising myself as much as I probably surprised the ppl who told me I couldn't and didn't believe in me. I’ve done those things, and I’m proud that I now have ownership of them under my belt, but I found myself really thinking about what other “surprises” I want to have in my life. (Besides learning how to swim, lol!)

What’s something you’ve done that you (or others) were surprised you could do?

1 Comments:

Blogger Issiata said...

It's always nice to find out about strengths you may not have known (or believed) you possessed until it's been pointed out to you. I'm sure your frenz are glad to be able to count on you in that way. Awesome!

As much as I hate to, I have to agree that Nicole did well on the runway (her walk, in particular)...yet something inside me says some of it had to do w/her make-up. It sounds crazy, but I think that gave her an edge b/c it made her look a little more fierce than she otherwise would have. Even Tyra said she needed to look a little more "pissed". Nik was serious, but her make-up was very natural, and didn't accentuate her serious look.

They do say "presentation is everything"...

ven. déc. 09, 05:10:00 PM 2005  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home