Liberté de Pensée et D'Expression

I am donning the NEW as I reflect and RENEW and become more receptive to the Spirit that lives inside of me. I explore my truth, and resist the temptation to censor myself. I must free my expression and share my TRUTH.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : NYC

Resisting Self Censorship

21 décembre 2005

Miscellaneous Holiday Madness

Today I just didn’t feel like making the effort to come in to the office today, but I dragged my tired butt out anyway. I can’t really complain b/c I didn’t have nearly the commute trials and tribulations so many others had, but still. At first the idea of a strike is novel...until you realize just how badly your otherwise usual activities and ventures are affected by ALL the trains and buses out of the picture. And this sht is not pretty!

Fortunately for me, today is my last day, and I will be oh so glad to get up out of here. Can’t wait! I have a lot of things to get accomplished before heading south for a bit of the winter. And even more fortunately, I only have to deal w/2 days of this chaos if it goes on longer. A friend of mine told me that in 1980, the strike lasted for ELEVEN DAYS! Usually, I’ve very “fight for your right” and “power to the people”, but if this thing goes on through next week, I can’t guarantee that I’ll continue to be as sympathetic.

My department participated in a charity this year that answers letters to Santa from needy children throughout the city. This was the first I’d been a part of this, and I can’t begin to tell you how great it felt to be out buying things for someone who could really use it. We had two kids, a boy and a girl that we were all buying for, and it was amazing how much stuff they had. All the presents were wrapped and handed out to them at their school. I bought both kids winter boots and socks. If I had kids of my own, I know that they would be so spoiled. Just ask Mr. K! He knows, LOL!

But all in all, it was rewarding for me to contribute something to a couple of great kids and I’m looking forward to doing the same again next year. Maybe even take it further and become a mentor.

So even w/the holiday and transit strike blues, there is always something to be grateful for and be appreciative of. Having health, family, friends, and basic life necessities are not things to take for granted...ever.

3 Comments:

Blogger Fresh said...

If you are interested in mentoring let me know and I'll get you the info. for the place where I mentor...we REALLY need more mentors. Its in the neighborhood too.

mer. déc. 21, 06:08:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Issiata said...

Thanks, Berry. I will get up w/you on that after the holidays. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! :)

mer. déc. 21, 06:15:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Organized Noise said...

Good for you. That program sounds like something I'd enjoy being a part of. I love doing things like that. have a good holiday and a good trip.

mer. déc. 21, 09:44:00 PM 2005  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home