Liberté de Pensée et D'Expression

I am donning the NEW as I reflect and RENEW and become more receptive to the Spirit that lives inside of me. I explore my truth, and resist the temptation to censor myself. I must free my expression and share my TRUTH.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : NYC

Resisting Self Censorship

06 décembre 2005

Destiny


Never in my wildest dreams had I ever imagined I’d be living in New York City.

The city that truly never sleeps, that is the constant hustle and bustle of those trying to make it and those that have; a city of takers and givers, cons and straight-laced and everything in between; filled with devils and those who would devour, yet saved by angels incessantly standing guard. Babylon.

Like most pre-teens growing up in the 80s in the suburbs, NYC was where it was at. It was where hip hop and rap icons and legends were made, where culture was born. I used to write rhymes w/my girls, had my share of female rap duos, trios and the like, and had my dreams of one day touching a star.

I romanticized NYC as a youth, but did not set out to make the island my home. But, somehow, here I am. And believe me, the novelty soon wore off as I realized how tough and unforgiving this city (and its people) can often be. We take no fcking prisoners. I’ll knock into a muthafcka and keep it moving if I have someplace to be and yo azz is in my way. But, I’ll stop and give anyone directions if I can b/c I know what it’s like to be lost in an unfamiliar place.

These are the faces, the moods, the ups, the downs, the perils and the joys of living in this city. I hate the winters here, but can still find some beauty in it. The air feels cleaner (though I don’t know if it really is), more crisp, and a lot less smelly. I can count on that. The parks become winter wonderlands, and somehow, you fall in love w/this place again. So much to do and see, to drink and eat, and people to meet. It’s no wonder that in some ways the world watches us with envy and sometimes, awe. I am even amazed by it.

For now, it’s home. My base.

It’s the place I find myself yearning to get back to when I’m away...