Liberté de Pensée et D'Expression

I am donning the NEW as I reflect and RENEW and become more receptive to the Spirit that lives inside of me. I explore my truth, and resist the temptation to censor myself. I must free my expression and share my TRUTH.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : NYC

Resisting Self Censorship

05 décembre 2005

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it. –Bill Cosby

*****************

Fear, in some cases, can be a positive motivating factor when making decisions like buckling your seatbelt, wearing a condom/using birth control, or getting annual physicals. But other times, Fear can be debilitating and crippling, and can prevent someone from reaching his or her goals or realizing their dreams.

A friend once asked me if I’d ever experienced the sense of accomplishment felt after conquering a fear. I’d really like to know what it’s like to know how to swim. I’d had a traumatic childhood experience which is probably the reason I haven’t learned yet, but I really want to be able to enjoy water sports without being freaked out.

I was on a cruise some years ago, and a bunch of us went snorkeling. Okay, let’s just say I went holding on to one of the boat boys and nearly drowned him, lol. Yeah, it was hard as hell to breathe out of those masks, but I managed to put my face in the water for, oh...like, FIVE minutes!! LOL I did not like feeling so helpless and so panicked. But, the next time I go snorkeling, I want to be able to enjoy it fully and experience everything I missed before.

This is why I liked this quote so much, though...I can decide to want my goals accomplished more than being afraid of doing what it takes to accomplish them.

That’s soooo empowering...

6 Comments:

Blogger Organized Noise said...

I am definitely feeling that quote. Very motivational. I might just use it as my theme for next year.

lun. déc. 05, 11:56:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Fresh said...

For me it took someone who was very patient and understanding to slowly get me into the water after two drowning experiences. Next thing you know I was swimming in the Jr. Olympics. I guess I have to remember that in other areas of my life as well. A patient teacher and a willing student. :-) I still don't know how that man taught to conquer that fear but I am forever grateful to him.

mar. déc. 06, 01:47:00 AM 2005  
Blogger brooklyn babe said...

I shared this same quote with my social group last week. BQ Queen (on my blog roll) had this same quote up some time.
Nice to see on repeat, this way it can seep in.
Peace
O.N. gave you a shout out, decided to pass thru show some love.
Lata

mar. déc. 06, 02:05:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Issiata said...

@ ON: What an excellent idea! Got to stay motivated and keep those eyes on the prize...

@ Berry: Wow, girl! Jr. Olymics... that's quite an accomplishment! I'm def gonna be on the look out for that patient teacher... Thx for sharing.

@ Will: Thx for stopping by, and I'm glad you enjoyed the read.

@ BK Babe: I like to say that great minds think alike, lol! Good to know that this energy is being shared. Nice of u to stop thru...

mar. déc. 06, 02:39:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Deelze said...

Dropping by way of Organized Noise....

Great minds think alike is right *smile* I posted this same quote on my blog Nov 9th titled "Food for Thought".

I think the quote is so true in many ways, I for one want a lot of things myself, but usually let fear steal it from me!

Great post by the way!

~Smooches~

mar. déc. 06, 03:11:00 PM 2005  
Blogger My-Conscience said...

Passing through from OrganizedNoise:

This quote is so true. I ask myself everyday Why am I afraid of more, when all I want is more? (I will write a post about it soon)

As far as swimming, this was my worst fear!! but guess what early February, myself and two famiily members took swimming lessons and I was swimming and jumping and dunking myself in the water. I even taught my son how to get over his fears and this pass summer I went to the pool every weekend.

Great post, Great Site...

mar. déc. 06, 08:47:00 PM 2005  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home