Liberté de Pensée et D'Expression

I am donning the NEW as I reflect and RENEW and become more receptive to the Spirit that lives inside of me. I explore my truth, and resist the temptation to censor myself. I must free my expression and share my TRUTH.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : NYC

Resisting Self Censorship

20 août 2006

I Apologize

Sometimes I say things that I think ppl may find offensive in some way; most of the time, though I worry that I have. I am truly amazed at how some ppl can say whatever it is they want, however they choose to say it, with no kind of remorse, no apologies. Yet, I find myself struggling with guilt and regret that I've said something that will come off in a way I didn't intend.

I know that no one is perfect, but I still can't seem to not feel this way.

Besides the ppl who could really give a fck how they say what they say and the things they say, there are those who say harsh or insensitive things without realizing it. But isn't true expression a glimpse into how someone sees something or someone? Or even themselves? Then there are those who censor everything and are super conscientious about always saying the "right" thing, and never seem to be offensive in any way...always sensitive to everyone. Yet, even with that, they somehow seem inauthentic and unreachable.

So I guess what I want to find is some sort of balance.

I don't want to so often feel regret at not being what I think others think is PC, so to speak. Nobody else is perfect, and neither am I. Yet, I want to feel confident in saying what I feel is genuine and true to me without offending or hurting anyone else or regretting something I've said. I want to be sensitive to other ppl's feelings without being ruled by or obsessed with how a person will view what I say. No one can please everyone (including oneself) in every way, all the time; it's impossible.

But isn't everyone's feelings and interpretations his and her own responsibility? Also his or her sole responsibility?

Still, I feel like we share in the responsibility to take care of and be respectful of each other...

Should there be no apologies for one's personal truth??